Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kids Are People Too

People ask me all the time why I homeschool my children.  To me the most obvious answer is "why not?" but it never fully satisfies the asker's curiosity.  There are actually many reasons why I feel homeschool is the best form of education.  If I had to choose the biggest reason, it would be because I want to raise my children the way I would want to be raised myself.  I know I would not learn best in a school setting, so neither would my children.  I would want to learn in a way that encourages individuality rather than conformity; in a setting where participation comes from curiosity and interest rather than discipline; and in a positive environment.  Since this is what I would want for myself, this is what I chose for my children.

With much encouragement from many family members and some friends to write a blog about the homeschool experience, I am starting this blog. However, it is not only going to be about homeschool.  It is going to be about life, as seen through the eyes of children.  Or through the eyes of a mother trying to see the world through the eyes of her children.  Because children are people too.

I encourage questions, comments, and stories of personal experiences.  I am working on a post about hands on learning vs. classroom learning, and on one about teaching reading (which could probably be 20 posts itself.)  Please post comments if you have any suggestions.

Thank you for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Great Idea. I'm excited to read this blog!! Good luck and keep those entries coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read all of your blog entries. Hatzlocha with the new venture! Its about time..

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine has a separate facebook page with the same title as her blog so when there's a new entry, she posts a little something on facebook. Let me know if you do that so I can "friend" your page. Good luck! I look forward to reading! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sheindel and Yocheved.
    Sherri, I'm going to post a link to all new entries on my regular facebook page. But that is a good idea to make a facebook page of it as well. I'll let you know when I do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job!! You are doing amazing job!!!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete