Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

Bedtime runs pretty smoothly in my house most days.  I tell my kids often about the importance of a good night's sleep for their physical and emotional health; and so when I say, "Time to go to bed!" they know why and (sometimes begrudgingly) comply.  And I am happy they do, because next comes my free time, so relaxing and enjoyable that I lose track of time and often find myself awake until the early hours of the morning.

Dinnertime is also pretty cooperative.  Brown rice and and salad for sides are tolerated because I often point out the benefits of healthy eating, and the negative effects of eating badly.  But when they see me sneak some oreo cookies after dinner, it is a little more difficult to explain that behavior.  "In moderation it's okay," I say, as I give them each one cookie.  The rest I save for myself later.

They also know that when it comes to computer time, they must first do their schoolwork and then play their games.  Business before pleasure.  It is very tempting to click away from Word and onto MonkeyQuest, but I don't hover over them.  I trust them to use self discipline so that I am free to browse celebrity gossip sites and online shopping sites while procrastinating writing my blog and checking on my children's online schoolwork.

Hey, I'm a Mom, not a Saint!

No comments:

Post a Comment