Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Mommy Workout

Its a great idea to go to the gym every day, but sometimes you just don't have the time.  Luckily, being a mother means you get a great workout just by spending time with your kids.  On days that I don't make it to the gym, I still get a complete workout, albeit an unconventional one.  But that's okay, because I was never known to conform to any standards, and this includes exercise norms.

On non-gym days, I do the Mommy Workout.  Instead of a 60 minute kickboxing class, I spend at least as much time exercising my patience.  Instead of weight lifting, I flex my smile muscles.  Instead of doing bicept curls, I lift the baby up and down playing "swingy swing."  Instead of training for my 5K, I train my toddler to use the bathroom.  Instead of touching my toes, I reach down to pick up the laundry dropped on the floor.  Instead of yoga, I stretch my imagination.  Instead of mile repeats on the track, I have the kids favorite song on repeat on the CD player.  Instead of bootcamp drills, I do multiplication table drills.  In place of the cool down, I do story time before bed.

At the end of the Mommy Workout, I know I had a great workout because my muscles are sore, I am fatigued, and I feel a satisfying sense of exhausted accomplishment.  And I'm craving carbs. 

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing post. I really appreciate and relate to it. Its my first time seeing your blog and you write so beautifully.,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why excercise this way?
    It's so much harder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Blima :)
    Kristy, you have a good point!

    ReplyDelete